Flooding closes Chicago Botanic Garden for first time since 2013

Chicago Botanic Garden

The Chicago Botanic Garden was forced to close Thursday as a result of the storms that pummeled Lake County late Tuesday night and through Wednesday, according to garden officials.

Garden Vice President Harriet Resnick said the decision was made late Wednesday night to shut down the 385-acre complex due to flooding in the internal roads.

"Many of the roadways have water that is too deep to pass through in a vehicle," Resnick said. "Many of the lower-level gardens, including the Malott Japanese Garden, are underwater."

Spokeswoman Julie McCaffrey added that 3.66 inches of rain came down at the garden. Resnick said excess river water from the north caused the floods.

"It was all coming from what happened the night before in Lake County," Resnick said.

Resnick was not certain when the garden — which is scheduled to host its annual summer farmer’s market this weekend — would re-open to patrons. She added it will depend on how quickly the water can be cleared out. She said crews could start pumping out water as early as Friday.

Resnick advised people to check the garden’s Facebook page and website for the latest information on re-opening of the attraction, which officials said drew more than 1,000,000 people in 2016. Resnick believed this was the first time since 2013 that the garden had been closed due to flooding.

As for the village itself, Glencoe’s Public Works Director David Mau reported Thursday morning that the village had three localized power outages on Wednesday, with one leading to disruptions for 100 properties in the western part of the village. Mau said power was restored at 10 p.m. Wednesday night. Mau said on Wednesday the village received approximately three inches of rain over a six-hour period starting late Tuesday night and said that flooding occurred in several parts of the village.

Non-emergency telephone lines were disrupted at the village hall on Wednesday following the storm, according to village spokeswoman Megan Hoffman, but the problem was resolved by Thursday morning.

Daniel I. Dorfman is a freelance reporter.

Comments are closed.